 |
| the first "skyscraper" in Europe |
Rotterdam architecture tour was on our agenda today. We met up with the bus and low and behold their were 30 Korean students on it as well. My teacher apparently arranged for us to share a ride with another UvA program. Two girls in my group were ten minutes late and one Korean student told her teacher that they should "not be associated with this kind of behavior" and that they have their "reputations to look after." Thank you! I told my teacher that I thought our group was being disrespectful with time management last week...I should have been in the Korean group... Anyways, the tour was super long and we saw a lot of weird but interesting buildings. Rotterdam was pretty much obliterated during WWII so the city had to be completely rebuilt and even now there are many new construction projects.
One such project are the famous cube house, which are individual apartments raised up form the ground. They are apparently very cheap and therefore lots of young people live in them. We got to go inside one and it was so strange. Also a major downside is the fact that all furniture pretty much needs to be custom made in order to fit against the slanted walls.
 |
the custom couch--and lovely cactus?
Although I deem the cube house to be weird enough to be called a "fail" we did see some actual buildings that seriously failed. Becky this will make you so sad, but the public library is one of the most hated buildings in Rotterdam! Apparently because of dutch frugalness the building only received partial funding from what it was originally promised and therefore came out cheap and ugly. What are those tube things even supposed to be? Looks like a horrible apartment building/factory.
|
Yep, the library looks very plain and industrial. And the tubes look like something spilled down the side. Industrial can be attractive, but not in this case. I love the windmills! I guess the Koreans got up too early...
ReplyDelete