Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 40: Rotterdam..take three

the slanted white "floor" is actually a mound of sugar




So on Friday we went to Rotterdam again to go back to the Boijmans Museum and also to the architecture museum of Rotterdam (the name escapes me at the moment...probs because it was kind of boring).  We didn't actually look at anything new except for a minimalist exhibit in the Boijmans, which was actually very beautiful.



the minimalist exhibit


art in the museum cafe
The day had lot's of strange interactions and events.  At lunch the teacher announced that we were all going to get tomato soup but if anyone did not want the soup thy could get a sandwich instead.  So I said that I would prefer a sandwich.  When the sandwich and soups came out, every person in the group threw a giant hissy fit ("that's the sandwich?" "that's not fair" "I'm so hungry and this is all we get?" I mean, it's soup--hotliquid--what were the expecting?) and it was so awkward and It definitely felt like a personal attack.  Then they got a bunch of bread with the soup and it came with all these spreads.  The mood immediately reversed ( "Have you tried the pesto? You have to try the pesto" "I'm so glad I didn't get a sandwich" "O ma gawd, this is the best tapenade I have ever had" "I'm going to buy more of this bread for the week")  and once again it felt oddly like I was under attack.  Even after lunch Steve came over to me and asked, "Did you get enough to eat?"  I never realised how competitive lunch was before.

Allison & I in a 50s mansion

STRANDED
After the academics for the day were over, Angie, Allison and I decided to stick around to see a drum competition.  But then it started to rain and the competition was not going to start for another three hours so Allison and I decided to head back and Angie stayed behind.  On the train ride we all of a sudden realise that we have been at one of the stops quite a while, then we hear dutch announcements, then we see everyone get off the train, then I start to feel slight panic.  We asked someone what was happening and they said that there were electrical problems and that we all had to get off the train.  The moment we are off, the train leaves us in the middle of nowhere.  No information booth, no english announcements, no phone.  The way I'm recounting this makes it seem super pathetic, but actually we handled everything and just kept asking for help from random people.  Eventually, aka 1 hour later, we were able to get on a train that took us to Amsterdam.  We treated ourselves to Burger King soft serves for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment