Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 20: Palace & Sports Bar

the palace in the background...on a non rainy day

This past Saturday I went to the Royal Palace...by myself...and took an audio tour of the ground floor.  The palace is one of five used by the Orange royal family.  This palace is still lived in at times and is only open to the public at certain times depending on the family's whereabouts.  It was a crazy rainy day so I was glad to get inside and check it out.  The tour was ok but because the palace is still used, what you are allowed to see is pretty limited.   As a part of the tour you are given an audio guide, an older Indian woman in a fabulous bedazzled sari was given hers at the same time as me and pretty much followed me through the building.  She couldn't speak Dutch or English and she kept pointing her audio guide at random objects hoping to hear some feedback.  It was so funny.  Although I have to admit, I accidentally pointed my audio device at a few things that were not the sensors either...it's confusing in there!


After the palace I met some friends in Rembrandt Plein, an area of the city that has lots of bars, restaurants, and even a Starbucks (of course).  Our purpose for going there was to find a sports bar and watch the Wimbledon Grand Final and the final outcome: Coco's Outback.  A bar designed to look like an aborigine cave that serves Kangaroo Steaks at happy hour...so ridiculous.  But they did have tons of big screen TVs! We watched until the match had a rain delay and then realized our bootys couldn't handle bar stools anymore.  We then went to a pancake place for dinner.  So yum! Pancakes here are similar to crepes because they have savory and sweet and are big and flat.  Pretty much the only food I like here hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment