Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 25: Arty Outskirts

 
On Thursday we went to an area of Amsterdam that used to be the old shipping area but as the water level has changed and the city has expanded, shipping is being pushed outward and areas are left with big unused open spaces and warehouses.  One area in particular is just past the Eye, which is the new modern cineplex building I previously posted.  The ferries in Amsterdam are free so we hoped on and went with an architect to this previously abandoned land.  I say previously because now the area is starting to become a new cultural center for the arts.  A majority of the open area is used for music festivals and other activities, and one of the large abandoned warehouses has now been converted into artist studios.  The funny thing is that everyone in my group freaked out over the whole area.  They were saying things like "I want to live here!" and I was thinking, "This is a cold abandoned warehouse."  However, the whole idea is pretty cool and I would definitely like to go to concerts or something in the area...Im just not looking to live here.

There actually is real housing in the area as well.  A new concept of modular rooms that are built with plumbing and wiring built in and then stacked and connected to each other is a cheap student housing option.  However, the "rooms" are essentially those metal shipping crates found on barges with one window.  I think it is a good idea in theory but probably needs a little more work.  Essentially you would be living in a rectangular metal crate that is stacked on other metal crates. 


Student Housing Module "Apartments"
Larger companies have actually taken root here as well.  HEMA, MTV Europe and a IDTV Film & Production all have their major offices in the area.  The IDTV building was very cool and is the longest office building in the world.  It was built upon a preexisting concrete structure used for cranes for lifting cargo.  The offices were then built on top of the concrete but maintains a "floating" look by being built on steel beams that raise the offices above the concrete.  My only question is how they get from one side of the building to the other...my theory: a movie sidewalk like in airports.  Would be pretty snazzy.
  
IDTV Headquarters

After our tour we went to a small cafe after missing the ferry and I got a really good hot cocoa! The weather this whole week has been so bad--rainy, cold, thunderstorms, and then randomly each day the sun will come out and for five minutes I am boiling hot.  Stop being so goddamn moody Amsterdam. Only I am allowed to be moody!
bunker cafe

1 comment:

  1. Those are all really good pics! Ill be there soon!

    ReplyDelete