Sunday, July 1, 2012

Days 13 & 14

Saturday:

My yummy day dessert
I slept in and woke up to a nice sunny day.  My roommate Tracy took off early that morning to go to Documenta--"the olympics for contemporary art"--in Germany, so I had the room all to myself.      After a lazy morning, I went out on my bike to explore a bit.  I took myself to a bagel shop and a few markets.  The markets seemed to be a bit of a rip-off in my opinion.  Clearly very touristy and when I tried to haggle at a few places they said the prices were fixed.  lame.  I went into a few stores and then headed to the pastry shop to get an afternoon dessert; it's never too early for some suga.  As the temperature started to drop I headed home, and made it back just before a rain shower! Then I settled in and attempted making myself tortellini on our mini gas stove...never lit a stove before so it was interesting.  

fab candy shop window
Sunday:

Angie saving a horse from drowning at the AMS Museum
My fabulous 3D glasses
After another late sleep, my friend Angie stopped by to grab me up for a visit to the Amsterdam Museum.  She and a few others got sick last week as well so we had to go to the museum at some point to make up what we missed.  The museum is newly renovated and reworked.  It is very interactive and has lots of videos that make the paintings into semi three-dimensial visuals.  There were lots of other little interactive activities.  Even though I like the idea of making a museum more accessible to everyone I feel like the stuff they did at the museum cheapened the work a bit, although Angie disagreed with me. Afterward we were both hungry so we stopped off at a pancake place and I had sandwich, with pancakes for dessert.  We both got the mini pancakes, which are basically little puff balls of dough served like beignets.  Then we were going to go to this thing called Amsterdam Dungeon that was around the corner.  It is apparently a haunted house like place that explains Amsterdam's history while also being very scary.  It cost 20 euro though so we skipped it and insted headed down the street to a movie.  The only thing playing at the time was the new Spiderman in 3D, so we got our tickets and headed into the amazing old and art deco theatre.  The theatre really was awesome with large golden balconies and red velvet seats.  BUT NO ICEE! I liked the movie and it was comforting to listen to English for a while. I had to keep reminding myself not to read the Dutch subtitles!  After the movie, Angie and I split ways and I took myself to the grocery story for some food and then back to my room.  I have had no hot water all weekend in my room and they can't fix it until tomorrow so tonight I took a cold shower.  No fun.  Other than that it was a nice day :)
the movie theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment