Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 46: Haarlem Repeat



Frans Hals Museum...and random people.

Today we went back to Haarlem.  Haarlem was the very first day trip we went on and I think, after seeing so many other cities in the Netherlands, that it is my favorite.   Obviously this statement excludes Amsterdam.  Haarlem is so beautiful with many cute shops and bakeries.  It also has an exhibit right now of Dutch painting and the sea from the mid 1800s to present day.  Love the exhibit! So many pretty works.  We did also go to the Frans Hals Museum again today and I would highly recommend that as well.  Not only does the museum hold the largest collection of Frans Hals, but they also have many beautiful dutch still-life paintings.

The range of the exhibit on the sea is very vast.  The first floor consists of mostly Romantic and Impressionist paintings of beautiful seascapes and beach scenes.  The second floor has some divisionist post-impressionist works, modern abstract paintings and even some contemporary paintings.  The third floor spans Art Nouveau style works by Jan Toroop to contemporary photography and performance video.






Marek talks about a contemporary work of the dutch landscape
 Although I really do like the exhibit, can I just say that it annoys me how so many artists are crazy.  One artist said that he becomes the experience and the weather--thats why it takes him so long to "naturally complete natural works".  They were blue squares, I kid you not.   Even the famous Romantic painter, Turner, tied himself to the mast of a ship during a storm so that he could truly experience it. Bas Jan Ader, the performance artist, who has a whimsical video of him pouring a bottle of soda into the ocean at the exhibit, tried to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a ridiculously small boat and was never found.  These people are insane.

2 comments:

  1. Love the works of art shown in your blog - both contemporary and traditional. So beautiful. sounds like a worthwhile day! I agree with you that those bejeweled rings were stunning and I wouldn't mine a few of them in my own jewelry box, but is that detached tower leaning? Looks slighlty crooked?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might just be my hand leaning with the camera in it

      Delete