Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 45: Utrecht Again



On Wednesday we went back to Utrecht to visit the Centraal Museum and to an old convent that has since been converted into a small museum...religious content art only, of course.  There was not a lot of new information, but the day was fun and mostly centered around old art as opposed to modern, which was a breath of fresh air.

Right: Utrecht Tower which used to be attached to a church but was hit by a tornado--how rare!--and now is free standing.  Beautiful centerpiece of the city!




Although there were some very beautiful old works of art in the convent--lovely pietas, tabernacles, and    triptychs--the best was the dungeon....that held.....

DIAMONDS.  
don't mind if I do.
Always a girls best friend, I spend a good amount of time down there looking at all the lovely gold pieces.

 

Then we went to the Centraal Museum we saw a lot of paintings from the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries.  I don't know how this happened, but it seemed like every work we looked at had some sexual undertone.  Either people back then were a bit scandalous or my professor has an active imagination.

Left: "A fair maiden, pricking the bird with that long hard piece of metal.  Very carnal.  She handles the meat and looks straight out at us at the same time." --essentially what Steve said.   I have no more to say on this matter.

Allison & I at the Centraal Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment