Today we went to the town of Haarlem; a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam. Haarlem is very quaint with tons of really cute boutiques and cafes. It's actually even older than Amsterdam and has some really beautiful architecture. We went to the Frans Hals Museum, which houses all of his large group portraiture and we were ven given a private tour by the head curator! (loved her, total dutch geek who's clearly in love with Frans Hals). We went late in the museum because once again, our professors apparently know everything and more, so we were only given a short break for lunch. I got the most amazing waffle on the street. So yum! As I was eating it started pouring and fifteen minuted later the rain had stopped and was replaced by the strongest winds I have ever witnessed...and they are still continuing now. I'm starting to worry that a Wizard of Oz moment might be upon us.
Frans Hals
me in front of a ridic painting
super cute store in Haarlem
Haarlem church organs
We then went on a tour of the church in the center of town--name is escaping me and I don't really want to look it up...sawz. Once you've seen one gothic basilica, you've seen them all. I have definitely already seen more than one. We were supposed to have a one hour tour that slowly turned into a two hour tour given by a very elderly dutch man who's english was so-so. He was a bit geeked out on the organ of the church, which he talked about for a good forty-five minutes. When Mozart was ten he played on the organs in this church, which I did think was pretty cool. There are actually 5,060 pipes that comprise the organ...I guessed three hundred so definitely a bit off. Then we went to another museum "just to have a quick look" and ended up staying until we were kicked out for closing. At this point I turned into a grumpy toddler and wanted to throw a fit...luckily I made it back to my dorm room before I fell apart. The whole day was so long and exhausting that I wanted to fetal position in the train station and not even bother with the whole getting myself to my dorm bit. However, now its the weekend and hopefully time for a little R&R! Forecast is looking dismal so I guess I will have to start looking for some interesting indoor activities.
The ceiling in this cathedral looks so geometric. That's a funny comment about one too many churches, but hold on to your hat, because you will see a lot of them, but so worthwhile! Practice patience!
The ceiling in this cathedral looks so geometric. That's a funny comment about one too many churches, but hold on to your hat, because you will see a lot of them, but so worthwhile! Practice patience!
ReplyDeletegood advice, but no thanks
Delete