| bell tower across from Bushuis |
Then we all went to lunch at the cafeteria, which only takes Dutch pin cards so therefore Marek, our professor paid for us...ham and cheese baguette sandwich with amazing fresh orange juice and strawberries-- for sure better than UW--and I think I got a seat at the cool kids table; it seems that a clique of girls is forming and I am on the brink deciding whether I want to make the effort to join or not...I'm thinking not. They are super nice girls but I always struggle with situations like this.
| A Canal near the University of Amsterdam |
![]() |
| Mario & Tracy outside the bike shop |
After the lecture Tracy and I went to rent bikes with a few other students. The bike guys were hilarious and very sarcastic making it a fun experience. When I tried out my bike I swung my leg over the seat and the man told me, "This is a lady bike, next time don't be so indecent." He was joking but in reality the bike does allow for one to step onto it in case they are wearing a skirt. Ingenious. It is law to have bike lights in the Netherlands for safety although I haven't seen a single person wearing a helmet.
Once the bikes were rented Tracy and I rode around for a few hours before meeting everyone for dinner. It took us a few hours because she is inept at bike riding...she knows it so it's funny to both of us. Hopefully she will learn and the riding will not be such a problem. I, on the other hand, am amazing at riding these cruiser style one-gears (so modest). The roads are all flat and the bikes have their own path that is nicely paved. So fun and easy! The only scary thing is that mopeds and motorcycles are allowed in the bike lane and they don't hesitate to pass you.
Tracy and I went to this plaza and had ourselves a little bike photo shoot. The square is huge and beautiful although I haven't figured out what buildings this are yet. Every corner in Amsterdam has a historic building on it! Now looking at the hot-dog stand in the back is making me think I will have to go back. total fatty. To the right of this square is an alley with tons of cheap shops with outrageous shoes, shirts and jewelry so coming back here would probably be pretty fun.
| This one's for you guys; Matt & Craiger--so many beautiful old bikes |
This heron was so people friendly. It was in this beautiful residential alley near our dinner restaurant. It let me get so close and snap this pic. Amazing to see such a big bird within a city.
Below are pictures of a wonderful sunset that we saw on our ride back to the Funenpark. very lovely when all lit by the orange of the sun. Tracy, Steve (our other professor who rode back with us) and I decided to stop and get off our bikes for this photo opportunity. Steve is an interesting guy. He said it was no problem to ride back with us because he knew the way but then he was clearly getting a little frustrated with our leisurely pace. In the end, it turned out fine and the bike ride back was very pleasant.

You are mean in this blog
ReplyDeletethe things i say are true but also a little exaggerated for effect, which you should be ussed to by now boltron :) y u no say anything about that photo i post for you?
DeleteLove the photos, especially you on the bicycle. But I also enjoy seeing photos of your new friends and the street scenes. It's nice to share your journey with you.
ReplyDeleteya gurl
DeleteSissy! I'm missing you and already feel like I have so much to fill you in on. This blog is oh so "Carrie." Don't listen to Matt. I like the honesty. You're lookin' gorge! Don't get "raped or murdered"
ReplyDeletethanks besser. wish you were here. i have no one to shop with or take ridic pics with!
DeleteSo beautiful!! Love the pics Anna
ReplyDelete-Greer